Thursday 9 June 2011

Cheers to a summery 'Nirvana'

It is peak summers in North India and hot gales blow outside, forcing most of us to sit cooped up inside our homes. We wonder when and how respite will come to our summer weary souls. However, in such a scenario what would you say to a quick, easy to assemble and cooling drink? A big yes, is it? Well, I tend to agree.

One such summer afternoon I searched through my recipe book and discovered I have a variety of safe drinks (non-alcoholic, unfortunately..:P), which can be distinguished on the basis of their colours. While I had a varied choice from the colours red (tomatoes), yellow (pineapple) and even brown (chocolate), I decided to go with the most soothing colour of them all, green (khus).


It is a well known fact that colours affect out moods and emotions. According to scientists, green colour has a very calming and relaxing effect on average human beings and i would like to believe that I belong to that category of individuals. Thus, in order to calm the angry heat building up inside my system after a typical North Indian summer day, I decided to soothe myself with the popularly safe 'green' coloured drink to brighten up my evening.

With an average preparation time of 5 minutes, I was able to surprise my family members with a beautiful looking, awesome tasting drink that evening. As they sipped their way through the chilled, iced delight, their faces bore expressions that told me that the drink had been aptly named 'Nirvana'.

If you believe in quick results, with as less work involved as possible, 'Nirvana' would be a perfect way to reach the balance between the elegant and fast. So this summer, surprise your guests or just enjoy a summer evening with your loved ones enjoying the chilled, sweet flavours of 'Nirvana'. Here comes the recipe. Cheers!

Nirvana recipe -

Ingredients - (For 3 glasses)
Khus Syrup - 1/4 cup
Limca - 2 bottles
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Vanilla ice cream - 3 tbsp

Method to prepare -
  • Pour an equal amount of the Khus syrup into three glasses.
  • Next mix the lemon juice.
  • Put single scoops of vanilla ice cream in all three glasses. 
  • Top the glasses with Limca.
  • Add a stirrer and serve chilled. 

1 comment: